Translate

Monday, September 15, 2014

Clinical practices in Namibia...

I will be back...and I am :-)
This time I will try to use this as my diary while I am 3 months in Africa as a nursing student doing  my clinical practice at Katutura hospital in Windhoek, Namibia. I arrived yesterday after travelling more than 20 hours, stopping in Frankfurt and Johannesburg before arriving in Windhoek. Of course I wouldn't do this journey all alone...but with 8 other students from my school.
So here we are and we did survive our first full day here. Maybe I should say, survived our trip from the airport, on the wrong side of the road..more than once we thought that the car was driving itself since there was no driver in the left frontseat, lol..
So back to Sunday, the day we arrived....We had to sign a paper saying we weren't coming from any countries where they have the Ebola virus before leaving the plane and a lady was standing outside the airport taking our temperature, I think..before letting the passengers enter the airport terminal. The first problem occured when we tried to get through customs when none of us had gotten the visa beforehand. We "barely" made it through getting strict instructions that we had to get our visas taken care of right away. Then thinking we could breath just in order to get stopped with all our hand sanitizers, 14 bottles each...but with some Norwegian charm we got to leave with bottles of leaking "antibac". 2 many big suitcases barely fit in the truck bringing that was taking us to were we're staying for the next few months. Before our first meal here, all 9 students thought it was a good idea that all of us went to the grocerystore to stuck up on food....needless to say that it was a caotic situation when a bunch of Norwegians trying to find items, deciding on what to buy, who is buying while cause "traffic" in the store...kinda stressful and quite a sight for the locals I believe.
But we got what we needed, made dinner and went to bed exhausted after a long journey....

No comments:

Post a Comment